Community Fundraising During Emergency Preparedness Week
Each year, the Federal and Provincial Governments' Department of Public Safety and Emergency Preparedness organizes an emergency response initiative called “Preparedness Week”. This year, it runs from May 6 - 12. It is similar to BC ShakeOut in its objectives and goals; provide resources to ensure that all Canadians are teaching and practicing emergency preparedness in your school and community. As this brings emergency preparedness to the forefront of people’s minds during that time, we thought we'd share some information about GetMyKit's free, online fundraising program in hopes that you, or someone you know, would consider participating.
GetMyKit Fundraising Program SuccessSince the program's inception in September 2017, over 30 clubs, schools and organizations have participated and raised thousands of dollars. Because they had chosen to participate, they made a positive impact in their community. Almost 100 more families - who purchased their kits through their campaigns - have become emergency prepared. We believe that this is the tip of the iceberg and there's more to be done! There are fundraisers happening as we publish this blog and we look forward to having your organization join in this growing movement. Westmont Montessori, who ran two campaigns this year, writes: "Want a fundraiser that is meaningful, fun and easy to coordinate? Getmykit.ca is the one for you! We ran 2 campaigns - one in October and the other in February - and raised $775.00 for our school! Jessica provided you with everything you need: templates, flyers, information, a fundraising code unique to you, and much more. What really helped was having Jessica come to our school for a couple of hours with kits for parents families to see exactly what goes in their high-quality kits. Thank you for making our fundraiser so meaningful and helping us raise money for our kids." - L. Chevalier
How Does the GetMyKit Program Work?
- Sign up here to participate at www.getmykit.ca/fundraising
- You set your campaign dates. We recommend a three week campaign coinciding with Emergency Preparedness Week by launching April 30 - May 18, 2018
- Offer the opportunity to take emergency preparedness off of your community member’s to-do lists by purchasing their home emergency supplies and help raise money for your organization.
- Encourage your community to purchase a home emergency kit using your unique fundraising code.
- For each home emergency kit purchased using your fundraising coupon code, $25.00 will be contributed to your school’s fundraising cause.