When these notices are given, residents must leave their homes on a whim, and evacuees may have limited travel routes to lead them to safety. In some cases, the roads may be backed up for hours with vehicles fleeing their homes. Consider that aid may not be available when you reach your emergency service station and there will be large lines for food and shelter. An emergency kit can provide comfort and assist you further during the evacuation.Be Prepared for an Evacuation While BC’s most common environmental concern is often wildfires, we are not immune to other natural disasters. Earthquakes, tsunami’s, floods, storms, and power outages are all potential causes for evacuation. Do you have a plan in place with your family for these situations? Things to consider when planning:
- A primary and secondary meeting place where everyone can meet.
- Having an out of town contact
- GetMyKit - Emergency Kits. Our kits include everything you need to survive post-disaster for 3-5 days.
- Nutrition: food & water rations plus water purification tablets.
- Sanitization and hygiene products.
- Shelter: rain ponchos, emergency blankest and a tube tent.
- Lighting: flashlight, 50-hour candle, light sticks.
- Radio: A hand-cranked, radio/flashlight/siren is standard in all our kits. Check with your local government to see what the station frequency is for emergency broadcasting.
- Industrial supplies: work gloves, multipurpose utility knife, dust masks, waterproof matches, braided poly cord
- Basic first aid supplies.
- Emergency SOS Flag.
- Cash - banks and ATMs may not be open or available for extended periods.
- Extra Food - at least enough for three to seven days, including: Non-perishable packaged or canned food and juices, food for infants or the elderly, snack food, non-electric can opener, vitamins, paper plates, plastic utensils.
- Blankets, pillows etc.
- Clothing - seasonal, rain gear/ sturdy shoes.
- Medicine and prescription drugs.
- Special items - for babies and the elderly.
- Toiletries - hygiene items, moisture wipes.
- Toys, books, games and other comfort items
- Pet care items to include proper identification, immunization records, ample food and water, medicine, a carrier or cage, leash.
SAVE 20% off our entire online store today.
Visit getmykit.ca/shop and enter promo code: PLAN20
Promotion ends Sunday January 27th, 2018 at midnight.